Don’t Let a Damaged Chimney Pose a Holiday Safety Risk

Even though your chimney looks to be in good condition and seems to be working just fine, there could be damage lurking within. For example, the interior of the flue could be hazardous to your safety. This is especially true when you and your family are relaxing in front of the fireplace. The inside of your chimney can be challenging to see clearly from looking up through the damper. In addition, there are certain common problems that could pose a deadly hazard. Which is, consequently, impossible to even see or smell.

Don't Let a Damaged Chimney Pose a Holiday Safety Risk - Greer SC - Chim ChereeThe last thing you want to deal with during the holidays is feeling sick from breathing in carbon monoxide. This is an invisible, poisonous combustion gas that can leak into your home, if parts inside your chimney are damaged. To avoid this risk, you should schedule your annual chimney inspection before the holidays. Schedule an appointment with Chim Cheree The Chimney Specialists! We’re the best chimney company serving Upstate South Carolina. Also, we would like to tell you a bit more about the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Plus, what kind of damage we will be looking for during our inspection. Anything that could allow this toxic gas to leak into your home.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is known as the “invisible killer.” This is because you cannot see it, taste it, or realize you’re breathing it inside your home. Even more dangerous is how the symptoms of low-level carbon monoxide poisoning are extremely similar to those of the common cold.  Symptoms such as headache, nausea, fatigue, and dizziness. You could easily be misdiagnosed by a doctor! Thus, returning home to continue breathing in this poisonous gas could be killer.

The more carbon monoxide you have in your system, the more severe health issues you can experience. These include permanent organ failure and brain damage. It can even lead to your death. The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends asking your doctor for a blood test to determine if carbon monoxide is in your system. This is if your cold-like symptoms do not lessen or go away within a week or two. The CSIA also recommends installing carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home. Also, outside each bedroom. Doing this will let you know if this toxic gas is leaking into your house.

What kind of interior chimney damage can lead to carbon monoxide leaks?

What do our CSIA certified technicians from Chim Cheree look for during an inspection? We will be looking closely at problems that could either force or allow this toxic gas to leak into your home. In addition, we will make sure there is no debris blocking the flue. This could keep the combustion gases from properly exhausting out of your chimney. In turn, this forces them to come into your home through the fireplace.

If we find a blockage, we will remove it to make your chimney properly exhaust. We will also check out the condition of your chimney liner and will look closely for any cracks, gaps, or other damage. Any damage, whatsoever, that can let carbon monoxide to leak through into your living space. If we find damage to your liner, we will provide you with a written estimate of the relining options we provide. You can trust our experience and training to thoroughly inspect your chimney’s interior and exterior to be sure it will work efficiently and safely. Not only during the holidays, but for the rest of the winter season.

Keep your holiday celebrations in front of the fireplace safe this year. Contact us at Chim Cheree The Chimney Specialists today. Schedule an appointment for your annual chimney inspection before the holidays arrive!

By David Kline | Tagged with: Tags: , , |