Trust an NFI-Certified Technician to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

To best protect yourself and your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, Chim Cheree, The Chimney Specialists want you to know you can trust our National Fireplace Institute (NFI)-certified technicians to do this important job. To receive their certifications from NFI, our chimney experts must study about preventing this toxic gas from entering your home from your chimney through your fireplace and then pass an exam with questions about this topic. When performing annual inspections of your chimney, our NFI-certified technicians use this knowledge and training to look for problems that could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, such as flue blockages and cracks in your chimney liner. If problems are found, they can repair these issues to protect you from having to breathe in this poisonous substance. We would like to tell you more about the dangers of carbon monoxide by sharing with you some information from Home Advisor.

NFI Certified Techs - Greenville SC - Chim Cheree

Why is carbon monoxide poisoning so dangerous?

Claiming about 4,000 lives and 10,000 illnesses every year in the United States, carbon monoxide poisoning is often the result of poorly maintained chimneys leaking fumes into the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is so deadly because the gas itself cannot be smelled, seen, or tasted. Additionally, it can be hard to diagnose low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning because its symptoms are the same as the flu and the common cold. Without a blood test, it can be impossible for a doctor to know if you are indeed suffering from low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you do not realize you are breathing in carbon monoxide, it could be too late to save you from possible organ failure or even death.

What does carbon monoxide do to the body?

This poisonous gas tricks your body into believing it is oxygen. Your body actually prefers carbon monoxide over oxygen if both gases are present. Once you have breathed in this toxic gas, it travels all through your body, including your brain. Even low levels of carbon monoxide in the body can cause brain damage, particularly in children.

What exactly is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is one of the byproducts of incomplete combustion. The less complete the combustion process, the more of this toxic gas is produced. Gas fireplaces and stoves as well as wood-burning fireplaces and stoves all generate carbon monoxide.

Why can I trust an NFI-certified technician from Chim Cheree, The Chimney Specialists to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

Our NFI-certified technicians know exactly what can cause carbon monoxide to leak into your home and make certain to look for these issues when they inspect your chimney every year. For example, they understand that your chimney liner should be in good condition with no cracks or gaps that would allow carbon monoxide to enter your home rather than exit out of your chimney.

Prevent carbon monoxide from affecting you and your family. Contact Chim Cheree to schedule your annual chimney inspection from one of our NFI-certified chimney technicians.

By David Kline | Tagged with: Tags: , |